“Doing good to others is not a duty. It is a joy, for it increases your own health and happiness.” -Zoroaster
The Morris Hospital Auxiliary is a not-for-profit 501C3 organization committed to encouraging hospital volunteerism and promoting community involvement in fundraising events for special hospital purchases. The Morris Hospital Auxiliary is governed by a Board of Directors.
The mission of the Auxiliary is to support Morris Hospital and its mission of improving the health of area residents through financial support and volunteer service. The Auxiliary’s vision is to be a significant contributor to Morris Hospital’s role in providing exemplary healthcare. Auxilians also find numerous personal rewards from their volunteer experience.
Three types of Auxiliary membership are available:
- Service Auxilians are those who volunteer their time by serving in various roles throughout the hospital.
- Fundraising Auxilians are those who volunteer by raising money through special events.
- Ambassadors are those who offer community support as needed.
Find out below about the requirements and rewards of being a volunteer at Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers! If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, you can sign up now by filling out the information and emailing it to our Manager of Volunteer Services!
Fundraising Auxilians made significant contributions to Morris Hospital through annual special events, which have enjoyed a rich history of community support.
Proceeds from the Annual Golf Outing & Bridge /Euchre Tournament benefit two beloved Morris Hospital programs Patient Transpiration and LifeLine. Fundraising Auxilians lend a hand to plan and carry out all of the day’s activities, ranging from acquiring prizes, to selling raffle tickets, to registering golfers and hosting the card tournaments.
Since its inception in 1968, funds raised at the Annual Charity Ball have helped benefit Morris Hospital programs and services, as well as help purchase specialized equipment to aid in training, diagnostics, and advanced procedures.
For this black tie gala, fundraising Auxilians assist in every aspect, including the acquisition of unique items for the silent and live auctions, as well as selecting a theme, creating the decor, and coordinating publicity.
The 49th annual Auxiliary Ball was held on Saturday, February 11, 2017 at Jennifer’s Garden and raised more than $108,000 net to support helping endow the Morris Hospital Patient Transportation Fund to ensure the service is around for many years to come. Save-the-Date for the 2018 event on Saturday, February 10, 2018 at Jennifer’s Garden in Morris.
To learn more about becoming a fundraising Auxilian or attending a special event, contact Hannah Wehrle, Development Officer, at 815-705-7021 or email@example.com.
Volunteering allows individuals to bring their own life experiences and special talents to their assignments. The Morris Hospital Auxiliary is committed to placing volunteers in positions that best match their wishes, interests and availability, along with the hospital’s needs. In addition, flexible hours are available to fit busy schedules. Various assignments for service Auxilians include:
- Blood Drives – Register donors and offer refreshments.
- Clerical – Help various departments as assigned with filing, mailings and photocopying.
- Gift Shop – Cashier, inventory and stock merchandise.
- Lifeline® – Install personal response units in community members’ homes and provide assistance to subscribers.
- Patient Transportation – Transport patients to scheduled appointments by serving as a driver or assistant.
- Reception Desk – Provide assistance to patients and visitors in the Main Lobby.
- Sewing – Make knitted, crocheted and sewn items for newborns.
- Surgery Waiting Room – Attend and inform visitors waiting for loved ones in surgery.
- Courtesy Shuttle – Transport visitors from our parking lots.
- Patient Escort – work with outpatient staff to provide customer service for day surgery patients.
In addition to attending orientation, all service Auxilians receive thorough training in order to carry out their specific responsibilities. Service Auxilians are also provided a uniform and picture identification badge to wear while performing volunteer duties.
Volunteering is a wonderful opportunity for teens who want to gain exposure to healthcare careers, those who require completion of community service hours, and those who simply want to serve others. In order to be eligible for volunteer service, teens must have completed their freshman year of high school. In addition to the standard service Auxilian requirements (see above), Volunteens must:
- Check with the hospital for age regulations.
- Fill out an application, which includes parental consent.
- Show proof of immunizations.
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer services.
While it is a privilege to have so many dedicated individuals volunteering throughout Morris Hospital, we do ask our service Auxilians to meet certain requirements. Each service Auxilian must agree to:
- Maintain hospital and patient confidentiality.
- Comply with uniform dress code.
- Attend an orientation prior to training.
- Comply with educational components as required by regulatory agencies.
- Have a TB screening.
- Complete criminal background check successfully.
- Be able to provide three references.
There are many benefits to volunteering. Auxilians have an opportunity to make new friends and learn new skills. Many find assisting others brings great personal satisfaction. Because Auxilians are one of Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers’ most important assets, they receive the following rewards in appreciation of their service:
- One Complimentary meal in the Bistro Cafe on the day of service
- Volunteer Week Celebration
- Spring Appreciation Luncheon
- Free enrollment in Morris Hospital Fitness Classes
- FREE Flu Shots
- Hourly award pins
- Informative newsletters
There are no membership dues associated with the Morris Hospital Auxiliary. Both men and women are invited to become members.
If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, click on the button below to complete our Membership Application and submit it electronically to our Manager of Volunteer Services!